Sunday, April 6, 2008

Back

A lot of my friends dislike working out back because it requires a lot of work. I love working out back because having a strong back can help with other muscles and when your back gets really defined it looks great. Some lifters refer to a cut defined back as a cobra back because you have the cuts like the snake cobra’s head. I usually work out back on Tuesdays. The first exercise I usually do for back is lat pull downs. The lat pull down machine is made of resistance cables and you pull down with a bar. When I see most people do this exercise I always just see people bringing the bar in front of their face but it is much more beneficial to bring the bar in the front of your face and then in the back of your head and count that as one full repetition. I do my first set of ten repetitions with light weight; move the weight up to the next cable for eight repetitions, and the last set move the cable up again for six repetitions. One set of ten, eight, and six repetitions may not sound like a lot of work but I count one repetition coming down in front and in back of my head, so I am really doing one set of twenty, sixteen, and twelve repetitions. The next exercise I do is seated cable rows for three sets of fifteen reps. The seated cable row machine is usually part of the same machine as the lat pull downs but on the other side. Every repetition on seated cable rows that you pull back you squeeze the back of your shoulders together for maximum results. The third exercise I usually do is reverse cable fly’s for three sets of twelve to fifteen repetitions. The cable fly machine can also be used for chest fly’s but when you do them in reverse they work out back muscles. The last exercise I do for back is always four sets of pull ups until failure. I try to do as many pull ups as I possibly can and every week I try to complete more. I do pull ups until failure because I believe they are the most important exercise for back. Sometimes I do pull ups at the beginning of my workout but I try to do them with weight attached to my body but it is very difficult. Other exercises for back that I every couple of weeks are dumbbell or barbell rows, reverse pushups, and hammer strength machine rows.

No comments: