Wednesday, April 23, 2008

5x5 workouts

5x5 workouts are a great way to improve strength and endurance. I like do to 5x5 workouts during the summer months like June, July, and August. Doing 5x5 workouts during the summer months gives me just enough time in the gym to get better and stronger but I don’t have to spend time in the gym like it’s my full time job. 5x5 workouts is a method that involves working out a muscle for five sets for five repetitions for every exercise. So if I am doing chest and the exercises I choose for that day are bench press, incline bench press, and dumbbell flies I will do five sets of five repetitions for those exercises. The same method is employed for all the other muscles as well. These workouts are easy to record and keep track of because everything is five sets and five reps, the only things that change are the muscles worked out and the types of exercises chosen. When I do these workouts I usually increase the weight on every set by five pounds to get stronger. These workouts can get tiring because you are doing five sets for every exercise and by the end of the workout you could have done 15 to 25 sets which adds up to 75 to 105 repetitions. When doing 5x5 workouts I think it is better to only workout one muscle a day because doing more than one muscle will cause extreme fatigue and soreness. Also doing one muscle will weaken you for the next muscle to workout so it is best to just do one muscle a day.

No comments: